I am writing to ask you to take action now to stop the Minnesota legislature from passing a bill that would lock people into paying higher energy bills and pump more fossil fuels into our air. As people of faith, we are called to be stewards of God's creation and to ensure that everyone's human dignity is protected. With quick action, we can stand up for these values and stop a bad idea from turning into law.
Here’s what’s happening:
- Xcel Energy is working closely with legislators to fast track two bills (H.F. 133/S.F. 85) that would hand Xcel Energy a blank check to build a big new natural gas plant in Becker, Minnesota. It would allow Xcel to bypass the Public Utilities Commission -- the very agency set up to make sure utilities choose the best and cheapest options for energy users.
- A huge new gas plant will lock our state into more fossil fuels -- even if there are cheaper alternatives.
- If the Legislature approves this bill – H.F. 133/S.F. 85 our energy bills will get more expensive to foot the bill for this new gas plant. Low income customers will be the hardest hit.
- The bill will cost us $5 billion over 20 years and likely yield a 10% minimum rate of return for Xcel and its shareholders.
- If the bill passes, it sets a very bad precedent as our state continues to move away from coal toward other sources of energy.
In committee last week, Republican AND DFL lawmakers voted in favor of the bill in the House. We have to act now if we want to protect people and the planet.
JOIN US AT THE GOVERNOR'S OFFICE AT NOON ON TUESDAY JANUARY 24!
We will gather at noon in front of the Governor's office and ask him to stand with people like you and me who pay our utility bills and say no to Xcel, their outsized influence at the Capitol, and their legion of lobbyists. Email me and let me know you'll be there. We need you there!
CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS AND URGE THEM TO VOTE NO, EVEN IF YOU THINK THEY'RE WITH US!
This billl will be up for a vote on the House floor as early as Thursday and receive its first hearing in the Senate as early as this week. Every legislator should hear from constituents to urge them to vote no. The more no votes the bill gets, the easier it will be for the Governor to veto. Need to know who your legislator is? Click here.
JOIN 1500 PEOPLE OF FAITH ON JANUARY 28
On January 28, 1500 people will gather to talk about how to protect people and the planet in 2017 and beyond. We are meeting at Shiloh International Temple in Minneapolis from 1-4 p.m. that day. Lieutenant Governor Tina Smith will join us, and we want her to take a message back to Governor: We believe in a 100% renewable energy future and this proposal from Xcel energy takes us in the wrong direction! You can register here!